Things that have happened recently, in no particular order:
- A rolled over from tummy to back this week. I was disproportionately excited. A looked very surprised, which is understandable really given the amount of effort he’d been putting in but to no avail. He hasn’t yet replicated the feat but he is certainly honing his skills and displaying his flexibility by constantly holding onto his toes. He’s also getting pretty good at sitting up now too and if he feels like it he can sit up on his own for 10-15 seconds. If he’s doing really well he will also push his weighty head and torso back up. But most of the time he just takes a slow but comedic route to a face plant. Sadly I don’t have a video of this as I am being a half decent Mummy by having hands at the ready to make sure he doesn’t hurt himself.
- I made a banana loaf. It was pretty tasty even if I do say so myself (good recipe as opposed to any special cookery skills). I now eat bananas as snacks too, though I prefer them as a porridge topping. Still, go me!
- We went for a lovely walk around Langsett reservoir on bank holiday Monday and bagged a geocache on the way. Well, I say we walked, but obviously I carried A so he missed most of the scenery as he fell asleep after about 10 minutes.
- I played in a friendly hockey match a couple of weeks ago; that meant playing on a full sized pitch for 35 minutes each way. In midfield (I am a defender at heart so midfield is not only unfamiliar but requires much more running). I was flipping tired but pleased to have kept going!
- A has now started playing with food. Since he grabbed the lemon last week and had been doing very well at putting the spoon in his mouth (and poking himself in the eye with it) we thought we should give him something softer to poke himself with and something less teasing than an empty spoon. So, he drooled all over a pepper stick and made himself gag lots with it and did the same the next day with a piece of baby corn. Though there was some evidence in his nappy the next day that some of the baby corn got swallowed. In general his hand/eye co-ordination and dexterity seems pretty good as he is passing things between his hands and grabbing things in each hand. He is especially good at grabbing one of your fingers and then using that to steer a different finger of his choosing into his mouth.
- A has also started to (deliberately we think) tip (bath) water from one of his bath cups into his mouth. I hope for his sake he hasn’t been doing any cheeky bath wees 😉 He definitely likes the bath a lot more nowadays and likes to kick and splash his way up and down the bath.
- We may have been watching too much Parks and Recreation as I think A is doing a good Ron Swanson impression here. I think he is trying to say “Give me all the eggs and bacon you have”
- I was very grumpy yesterday. Apologies if you encountered me. I promise to drink more water after hockey and to do some warm down exercises so I that am not a physical wreck on Thursdays.
- I finished reading Omens. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next one in the series.
- Mr.J found out that you can’t use a Grobag to look like a chef’s hat; they’re just not rigid enough it seems.
- A has developed the baby super power which instantly detects any attempt to disengage a sleeping baby and instantly sounds an alarm. If anyone has any tips on how to circumvent this super power, please let us know! Otherwise there’ll be less of this than we’d like….